Notes Kerning Conference 2015
- June 8, 2015
- Written by
- Andreas Nymark
- Labeled with
A summary of my notes from Kerning Conference 2015 in Faenza, Italy. It’s a work in progress.
- maker of script typefaces;
- script fonts replace custom lettering, fills the role;
- the fluidity and flow in the letters;
- using a lot of contextual alternatives for handwritten feeling;
- drop letters such as /t or /l below the baseline as alternatives;
- the way to connect /e with other characters exit, how we write it by hand should be simliar;
- standard vs. discretionary ligatures;
- swashes looks simliar on all descenders;
- uppercase characters in script typeface is unconnected;
- use of user guides to help customers use the font.
- signature as a security;
- Jack Lew signature;
- Obama comment on someones signature;
- Benjamin Franklin continental ten shilling bill;
- How the letters are \\ ||| ///;
- use of rotated /p and /N to reveal counterfeits;
- “letterforms being a matter of national security”;
- “United States” written inside each letter on bank notes;
- Bulgarian lottery tickets.
- Webfont performance;
- the Guardian separation of concerns;
- core content;
- BBC “cutting the mustard”;
- typeface … read … also see; (can’t recall the quote)
- to look like the media, e.g. a newspaper looking like a newspaper to be trustworthy;
- type groups + adjectives;
- choose with harmony or with contrast;
- start from the type group, narrow down to find your typeface;
- a historical reference?
- look at the target group for the text
- large x-height with diacritics might be a mess;
- germans might like large x-height because of the capitals;
- “Celebrates the beginning of a sentence”;
- purpose of typeface;
- test with content and with technology;
- appropriate size.
- Using Mount Fuji to locate;
- the topic sentence, three supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence;
- information architecture is the negative space in a typeface; about moving between silos rather than organising content.
More to come…